Summer Reading for Adults
Oceans of Possibilities 2022!
Register between June 1 - June 5 to be entered in to win a four pack of Kings Island tickets!
- Adults ages 18+ can participate in the Adult Summer Reading Program!
- You can participate online through Beanstack, the Beanstack app, or offline!
- By logging minutes read and completing activities, you will earn badges to receive a completion prize pack!
What is Beanstack and how do I register?
Beanstack is the world's easiest way to keep track of all the books you read. When you create a Beanstack account for yourself or your family, you're instantly connected to all of PCDL's reading programs, so you'll get credit for every minute, book, and page read!
Beanstack keeps all of your stats and will cheer you on as you work toward your reading goals, as well as let you know when you've earned prizes! When the library program ends, you keep your account and your reading history! It's always free and you can continue logging your leisure reading! When the next PCDL reading challenge comes around, there is no need to sign up again — just click on the challenge and you'll automatically be registered!
Each member of your family can be registered with individual accounts or a family account with separate profiles. Choose which ever option is best for you and your family!
Registration is easy! Just go to the the PCDL Beanstack website and register! If you have questions regarding the registration process, you can check out this step-by-step guide or you can call the library at 740-342-4194.
Summer Reading Programs
In Person Events
- Book Club
- Dungeons & Dragons Table Top Gaming - Join us this summer for a one-shot D&D Campaign! Perfect for anyone ages 13 and older, this one-time campaign requires no Dungeons and Dragons experience to play! With the help of a skilled Dungeon Master, you'll have the opportunity to write yourself into an adventure complete with murder and mayhem on the high seas! This is a one-time event. Registration is limited and required. Please register for the session that works best for you by clicking on the links below:
- A Bard’s Tale: An Adult Medieval Storytime - Sample the rich Arthurian tradition in true medieval fashion in this presentation by resident medievalist James Gilmer. Registration is required. Register for this event by clicking the link below:
Virtual Events | Grab & Go Activities
- What's It Worth? Virtual Antiques Road Show: presented by author, auctioneer, appraiser, and radio show host, Mike Ivankovich! Mike will introduce you to "what determines value" and reveal what your antiques, collectibles, and personal treasures are really worth today! Throughout the appraising process and the program, Mike will be sharing many buying and selling tips and strategies.The first 25 people to register for this program will be able to have one (1) personal item appraised virtually by Mike! Because he can't see the items in person, Mike will ask questions about the item such as markings, conditions, etc. Please have one back-up item to be appraised, should he be unable to appraise your primary item. Registration is required to receive the Zoom invitation via email. Call the library with any questions. (Multi-person households only need to register once). To register, click the link below:
- Grab & Go Activities: Each Grab & Go activity requires registration and can be picked up weekly at your preferred branch. To register, please click on the links below. You can register for one, some, or none of these activities. Spots are limited to 200. All materials will be provided in each kit.
There will be a passive activity each week that can be completed, Monday through Saturday. By completing these passive activities and interacting at your library, you will earn one entry per activity into a drawing for an Adult Gift Basket to be awarded at the end of the Summer Reading Program. There will be one Adult Gift Basket awarded per library branch.
- June 12 – June 18: Complete and turn in the Ocean Trivia Sheet
- June 19 – June 25: Stop by your library and check out an item off a display
- June 26 – July 2: Complete and turn in the Ocean Word Search Sheet
- July 3 – July 9: Tell a staff member what your favorite sea creature/animal is
- July 10 – July 16: Enter a guess in the “Guess How Many: drawing
The Adult Gift Basket options are:
- Baking Themed Gift Basket
- Reading Themed Gift Basket
- Gardening Themed Gift Basket
- S’mores Themed Gift Basket
- Summer Fun Themed Gift Basket
- Relaxation Themed Gift Basket
- One themed gift basket will be awarded at each branch, based on the weekly passive activity entries.
- All adults who complete the Summer Reading Program (earning 14 badges) will receive a prize pack.
- The adult logging the most minutes read will receive the GRAND PRIZE which is a 32gb Samsung Galaxy Tablet and a one-year subscription to the Perry County Tribune!
Log into your Beanstack account in order to log book reviews. In the top left-hand corner of your screen is a white button that says Add a Review.
There are two types of reviews you can post: a book review or a picture review.
Read a book you want to share your thoughts on? Write a book review to be posted on our landing (home) page!
Want to share something from your Adult Activities? Snap a picture and post a picture review!
Logging Minutes Read
Keep track of minutes read and log your time in your Beanstack account! By logging your time, Beanstack will keep a running total of minutes read and for every 60 minutes, you will earn virtual tickets to be entered into the prize drawings!
To record your time, log into your Beanstack account and in the top left-hand corner of your screen is a pink button that says Log Reading and Activities.
You can also include reviews from this screen.
What is the offline option?
The offline version of the 2022 Summer Reading Program is all done on paper! Call your local library to get registered and pick up a one-page reading and activity tracker!
Trackers are available for all ages and contain the same information as the online version through Beanstack. You must also register for a Grab-n-Go bag for each child to receive the supplies for each weekly activity; registering for the offline version of the program does not automatically register you for a Grab-n-Go bag.
At the end of the Summer Reading Program, be sure to turn in your activity tracker no later than July 23rd in order to be eligible for a completion prize!